Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Still my goal to write everyday isnt acomplished...Maybe someday soon...Anyway, I finally went to the appointment with the psychologist. Of all that I have been to, he really knows the syndrome, the good, the bad and ways to handle the problem behaviors. But he was clear that those behaviors would always be there, that they are very, very hard to manage and to some extent we would have to let them flow as they are a natural? part of his behavior. In a way it may not sound so good, but at least it takes off my mind that little voice of "you arent a good parent" since his odd behaviors arent because I do as he pleases or that I dont punish him enough or I am not a strict parent. Also he direct me towards information and therapies that may help with the behaviors.

Two years ago I had heard about ABA ( Applied BEhavioral Analisys ) but it seemed targeted to addressing life skills in young children. Most of the info I found was targeted to 3 year olds or less, mainly for potty training and such which Sharkboy already had mastered ( he was 7 at the time) Somehow it didnt seem to be useful in older children. Apparently the approach has changed, since it seems to recollect info of the behavior and by using a reward/punishment system it extinguishes the behavior or promotes the desired one. The only tricky part to it is that the child has to be observed 24/7...

Recently I have found info regarding Sensory integration and Neurological Organization. I still need to research it more, but the main idea is that children in the spectrum have faulty nerve connections and by doing a series of excersises or a sensory diet one might teach the nerves to answer correctly to any stimuli and not go overboard. For example: one child might hide or cover his/her ears when a phone rings as if the sound hurt them. By doing those excersises the goal would be that the child can process the sound without reacting with fear or pain.

Both of these therapies sound wonderfull...What is not so great is the cost...A typical ABA program may range from 20 to 40 hours per week and that means a $ 1,000 to $3,000 investment. As always no health insurance covers it and the Department of Education isnt willing to pay for it either. In my case I cant afford even the evaluation, $700 -$ 850, but I will try to find books, seminars that teach about how to create it at home. At least its better than nothing.

To make matters more interesting Lavagirl is showing behaviors that I understood were imitating Sharkboy's. At first I tried ignoring them, but I am having second thoughts about it. Even if I know she doesnt have anything in terms of autism maybe she needs to see that if she expresses that she feels bad I will try to find ways to help her. I know she sees all the attention Sharkboy gets and I dont want her acting out just as a mean of getting noticed. This week she surprised me at the Cub scout meetting. The Girl Scouts had their meeting too so I decided to ask how they worked. She started crying as I was talking to the leader and wanted to go inmediately. As I left I asked what the problem was and she clearly said that she didnt want to be a girl scout because she wanted to be a boy scout like Sharkboy!! LOL!!! Later she said that she didnt want me to be away, I guess is one of the few times we get to be together and do some things and she doesnt want to loose that. I agree with her. Her dancing is improving with every class, she has a presentation at the Mayaguez mall in May 12 at 3pm. So if you want to see her be there!!!

I would really love to stop working or at least work in something from home...This days is a luxury to even think about it. As things are I have to consider taking at least a year off, in the long run it would be better. But it makes no sense to make such a change if I wouldnt have the means to do the homeschooling or the therapies or even eat as a matter...Another option would be to migrate, it still pops up...

No comments: